Thursday, August 21, 2008

Heroes of another color

One of my greatest pleasures growing up came from a collection of records. These were the big old 12" or so versions that played at 33RPM. I remember trying to find needles when one would break and the tragedy when a record got scratched. It was an interesting conundrum; the more I liked a record, the more it would get played. The more it got played, the more likely it was to get scratched. So what was worse; playing it and scratching it or not playing it in the first place?

There was one set of records where it was never a question. I loved the Lone Ranger records. It was a set of 5 or 6 records that each had I believe three episodes on them. I listened to them over and over. I loved hearing his adventures as he and Tonto rode around foiling bank robbers, thieves, killers, and even occasionally Indians.

I never really thought about "pidgin" or broken English when Tonto spoke, nor did I think of him any different than I did the Lone Ranger himself. It never occurred to me that some people might think less or more of him, or any other person, because they weren't Caucasian.

George W. Trendle was far from perfect, but the Lone Ranger's Creed meant a lot. Even though it was 20 years later before I found out about the creed, there was never a question...it showed through in all those old radio broadcasts.

If you have never read it, here is one version:

"I believe that to have a friend,a man must be one. That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world. That God put the firewood there but that every man must gather and light it himself.In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right. That a man should make the most of what equipment he has. That 'This government,of the people, by the people and for the people' shall live always. That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number. That sooner or later...somewhere...somehow...we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.That all things change but truth,and that truth alone, lives on forever.In my Creator, my country, my fellow man."The Lone Ranger
http://www.endeavorcomics.com/largent/ranger/creed.html

This was different from the all men created equal portion of the Declaration of Independence. In the Lone Ranger there was the opposite of institutionalized racism. Oh, sure, there were the dying gasps of it...the aforementioned pidgin spoken by Tonto being the best example...but those were the exception rather than the rule.

The lessons I learned from listening to the Lone Ranger were many. I learned that faithfulness to friends through good times and bad was a high ideal. I learned that friendship had no race or gender. Tonto was the friend of the Lone Ranger...and that was a friendship based on equality.This equality was exemplified in many ways. The Lone Ranger never hesitated to give Tonto important jobs. He trusted his life unhesitatingly to the hands of this other man. He never "looked down" on him or demeaned him because he wasn't white...no, instead he respected him for his intelligence, strength, and integrity.

I think the points were made even stronger because they were never verbalized. Time and again Tonto saved the life of the Lone Ranger (from what I have seen of the television shows this was less common, although on radio it was quite a frequent occurrence. On tape and record I suppose I should say....) and the Lone Ranger knew he could count on Tonto.They never had jealousy or mistrust between them. They rode together, they ate together, they acted as a team.

This sounds like a lot of hero worship...and it is. A lot of my formative years were spent listening to them on tapes and talking about them and yes...I even remember the one book I had of them. The attitudes of the Lone Ranger and Tonto actually had a huge impact on my own.

I think one thing that really stood out was it was never made a point that Tonto was Native American or that the Lone Ranger was white. That wasn't important. And it should not be.

I think that creed, point by point, is something everyone would do well to follow.Go out today and be a friend to someone who needs one.Do not just be prepared to improve the world, actually do something that makes it so.Live in such a way that good is done for many people.and if anyone asks "Who was that Masked Man", simply say, "Why, I'm surprised you didn't know. Why, that's the Lone Ranger!"Hi ho Silver.....aaawwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy

No comments: